Keep in mind that I was in the process of building a new life, and a summer in Jackson sounded like fun, so I agreed to apply for the job. I was offered the position, and took it looking forward to a great adventure. I was told that I would be cooking, working with horses, and living in the "Big House" I'm sure I was told more than that, but that's all I really remember. . . so that must have been all I was told right?
I don't remember anyone ever telling me that I would meet life long friends like these:
This is Seth. Definitely a kindred spirit. We could laugh together, talk for hours, and he and I were always able to tell when the other needed a sanity talk. After all, living in the big house with 20 to 30 single people between the ages of 16 and 25 can take it's toll on a 26 and a 29 year old. :)
This is Deb. She was not only one of my roommates my first year in hell, but she was the one person who could tell that little brat exactly what all of us were thinking and have "Kio" or "Tourettes" laughing and thanking her and telling her just how funny she was. . . I have GOT to figure out how she does that.
Right to left, we have Janette also known as Netters, Megan also known as "the Loud one" and Jenny who we only ever called Jenny. This picture was taken at the beginning of my second summer on a trip out to Jenny Lake and String Lake in Grand Teton National Park. (yes I was within a day trip distance of 2 count them 1, 2, national parks. yes I did get an all parks pass.) Jenny Lake is still one of my favorite places in this entire world. When I feel stressed or upset, I just want to go to Jenny Lake and stare across the water as it laps at my feet and watch the mountains.
The other National Park: This is John John, Netters, and myself at the geysers of Yellowstone. Netters I love to pieces, and John John is the first person I've ever found who is an INFJ just like me! I had begun to think I was all alone in the world. But John proved me wrong. No wonder he just seems to "get" me. I'm so glad he found his sweet Celeste.
I also don't remember anyone ever telling me that I would have unbelievably long work days, that nights in the big house could often be far too loud to be conducive to sleeping, and that sometimes on my days off, even though i really wanted to get out and enjoy the miracle of where I lived, I would instead do this: (Wow that was a really long sentence.)
I'm certain that no one told me I would have my own name for "Bud" and "Moran" or "Chick" and "Clay" or even "Ginger" and "Dixie". And I'm positive no one told me that some of those names would involve words you wouldn't want your two year old saying in front of the Bishop. I definately don't remember being told that I would be cooking outside in snowstorms like this: Sorry it's sideways. . . I'm having a hard time figuring out how to flip it. . . .stupid technology!
This is how wet my "water proof" hat got just walking out to that there wagon and back! BRRRR.
I KNOW no one ever told me I would lose more than one screw and have to go searching through the nasty garbage cans for them. . . . Oh wait, that wasn't me. . . he he he Love you guys.
I know that no one told me that my second summer, I would loose two nieces and that I would cry my eyes out till I felt so puffy and ridiculous I just wanted to hide. No one told me that I would have friends that would assure me that "it's ok to cry." and I would say "no it's not I'm gonna look like a red balloon with eyes!" No one told me that those wonderful friends in an effort to help me through my grief would go buy me flowers and a red balloon and put eyes on it so I wouldn't be the only one. Nope no one told me that. How could they have known?
No one told me that my third summer I would bring my favorite person in the world to meet all my good friends and that my first summer as a married woman would be so full of fun and adventure and craziness! Who would have thought it would be so good for a couple to spend the first few months of their marriage in a house FULL to bursting with single women! HA! It worked for us though.
And Finally, No one told me I would meet this guy:
Moe. My friend Moe, has the funniest sense of humor! He is such a tease, and yet when you need someone to just listen cause you're about to rip someone's head off, there is no one better than Moe! If you need someone to teach you about Horses, Moe! You need someone to drive a team? Moe! I wish I could express how much I love this man. He is like a Father and a Brother and a great friend all rolled into one.
I learned today that Moe Passed away last night. Anyone have a red balloon lying around they wouldn't mind giving to me? I will miss you my friend! I know that you are gone from my Heaven, Home to our Father in Heaven. I pray that you are happy there and that you find some people to tease. And I hope you forgive me if I imagine that it looks a little like this:
I love you sweetheart, thank you for sharing Jackson with me and introducing me to all of those wonderful/awesome people. I'll miss Moe too... he is definitely one of a kind, and no one better.
ReplyDeleteMmmm. Isn't it wonderful that we get the chance to interact with terrific people in our lives? Anyway, wow. What a post. And, not to bring up your grief again, but . . . I knew about one of your nieces (Zoe). What other niece left? I'm sorry about your friend, Moe. It is okay to cry. Love you to pieces.
ReplyDeleteChristina lost her little Ruth that same summer. It was kind of an emotional roller coaster summer for us, but I feel like it prepared me for some things.
DeleteCherie, I couldn't word it any better! A summer in Jackson definitely does change your life and you gain so many wonderful friends. Moe will be greatly missed and I like your imagine of Heaven :-) We love you so much!
ReplyDeletePS This is from John and Celest