So. I'm obese. According to the nasty bad BMI chart thingy. (Which i'm starting to think is a load of horse manure, but that's a rant for another day.) Which is a really good thing cause 9 ish months ago I was Morbidly Obese. But I'm starting my story in the wrong spot. Let me try again.
December 1st (ish) 2012 I was almost 9 months pregnant with my first baby and learned that the baby was in what the big smarty pants Dr.s call: "transverse lie." which basically means he was laying sideways in my pelvis instead of head down. Those smarty pants Dr.s immediately started throwing around that Cesarian word and when I told them I wanted a completely natural birth they looked at me like I was a nut job. Long long long story considerably shorter, When i went to the Maternal Fetal Medicine center to have them perform a Manual Cephalic Version which is fancy pants dr talk for moving the baby into optimal position for labor, We learned that in my situation it was a bit risky, and there was less than a 50% chance that the version would be successful and if it were not successful, We'd end up in an emergency C-section anyway. We decided (and I believe it was the best decision given the information we had) to have a "planned c-section" and avoid the added complications and risks that an emergency c-section would have entailed. So on June 28th I went to my doctor. I said to him: "If I can lose the weight and get healthy, will you support me in attempting a VBAC?"In that appointment he said to me: "when a woman gets fat on the outside they get fat on the inside, so it's harder to push a baby out. So when I see a woman come in to have a baby at close to 300 lbs I just think you might as well section her." a month later he had his receptionist call and tell me: "No, but he wants to talk to you about it." I can't think of anything to talk about, so, I start to hunt for a new doctor. I'm not willing to have major abdominal surgery for all my babies. My body is capable of accomplishing this and I will not doubt.
So last month I went to an OB in Salt Lake who came highly recommended. I told him what I wanted we discussed briefly the circumstances of my c-section, and he said well, I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to attempt a vbac. You just need to find and OB down in Provo. They will monitor your labor very closely and if there is a lot of blood or if the baby has trouble then they will look at things, but you should be fine. So now, I'm on the hunt for an OB in the Provo area. I have had several recommendations, but lately the recommendations have ended in disappointment as each doctor who came highly recommended (other than this Dr. Langeland in SL) has shown themselves to have either Crappy bedside manner, little to no care about me as an individual, or a knack for saying stupid things. Is it really too much to ask to see an intelligent, compassionate doctor?
No comments:
Post a Comment