Tuesday, May 7, 2013

thank you body part 2

I'm typing one handed because I'm holding my sleeping son.  I am often overwhelmed by how much I love this kid. 
My mom gave me all the makings for a quilt for him.  It is so beautiful.  I ponder the fact that she needs cataract surgery because her vision is "like someone spilled chocolate milk all over everything", and she has sarcoidosis which causes her pain.  She also is dealing with trigeminal neuralgia, fibromyalgia, and some other chronic conditions.  She would probably not thank me for sharing this, but in order to understand what a treasure this quilt is, you need to know what she's dealing with.  She can't see well, the sarcoid is also effecting her hearing, and she is in several types of chronic pain.  In spite of all of this she created a blanket for my son. She has made hand quilted baby blankets and larger quilts for decades, but not with these increasingly stacked odds.  She told me that she can no longer see well enough to quilt this blanket, and asked if I would be willing to quilt it.  I've been working on it for about a week now.  This is giving me the opportunity to ponder what a treasure my mother is, as well as what a blessing it is for me to have a body that still works well for me.  With every finger poke I am reminded of the sacrifices my Mom made to give me this body and this life.  I will forever be in her debt.  Not only for what she has given me, but for what she taught me.  I love you Mom.  Thank you for this body and this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment