So I was going to quilt for the next hour while Sharp Toes is sleeping, but I saw something on Facebook that's got me a little fired up! So, I decided to blog about it and start a challenge of my own. What could I possibly see that would convince me to give up a hour of back breaking quilting you ask? Well, first a little background. Many of you probably already know, but I'm working to take better care of my body. Starting with a goal to lose a total of 120 lbs. I've already lost 60ish of them (I cheated and had a baby) But I'm still far from finished. I've been using sparkpeople.com, and basically just trying to make little changes and better choices every day. Today I joined a fitness challenge the SDMchallenge http://slapdashmom.com/8-week-healthy-weight-loss-challenge-sdmchallenge/ If you want to join in. But one of the ladies on the facebook page said she was going to take a before picture and then said "It'll be gross just a warning" She then went on to say that she was embarrassed to tell us her weight because "I'm probably the biggest one on here." Ok, fine don't tell me how much you weigh. I don't care, but here's what bothers me. She said her body was "gross"!
Ok I'll give you this our bodies can and do do some pretty gross things. However, I am quickly coming to the conclusion that our bodies are miraculous! NOT gross. I don't care what condition a body is in, it is a miracle. A woman gave 7 - 10 months of her comfort and convenience to create that body. She in all likelihood went through the physical test of giving birth to create that body, who are you to call it "gross" Ok, so maybe I didn't take very good care of it. Is that my Body's fault? not usually. The choices we make every day tend to show up on our bodies, but really that is just another miracle of our bodies.
Call it a trip to new awakenings or a perspective challenge. I want to change the way I think about my body. I've had 30ish years of thinking negatively about it, I want to retrain my brain. So here's my challenge in two parts:
1) Take 5 minutes every day to thank my body for something specific it has done or helped me do that I could not have done without it. For example, holding/ feeding Sharp Toes, the way my muscles move when I take him for a walk, something I created using my body.
2) Cease all negative self talk starting NOW! This is going to be tough, but if you just stop a habit, it won't go away, you have to replace it. So, Every time I catch myself hating on my body I will focus on positive aspects of my body for 5 minutes and then I will do something for which it deserves thanks for 30 minutes.
I will focus on this challenge for the next 3 months (ish. Till my birthday at the end of July) If you would like to join me, please do. Feel free to share any great body discoveries in the comments. I will try to blog my discoveries/ thanks body sessions each day. Remind me if I miss a day. :)
NO negative self talk?!? Are you CRAZY?! I don't even know what I'd say to myself. :)
ReplyDeleteMy mom never says anything nice about her body. It had an impact on me as a kid. I've tried to not do things like go swimming or whatever with my kid because of how I feel I look in a suit.
Let's be honest. I'm never going to have the body of a 17 year old. Ever. Again...but then..neither will a 17 year old. ;)
LOVE IT! Oh, this is SO exactly how I feel about our bodies. I have been fortunate enough (apparently many women can't claim this) to have not had severe body issues, but I feel so strongly that our bodies are amazing! A huge and fantastic gift! Priceless! Indescribable! And you will definitely get further with your health goals by having a positive mindset than by continuously body bashing. Go, Cherie!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to take the liberty of recommending a few websites to you that may be helpful on your journey: thankyourbody.com, ournourishingroots.com (she's on a weight loss journey, too), and billionclicks.org. These will help maintain your positivity, and/or give you some fantastic, healthful ways to achieve your goals. And not in the ways you may expect, either. :) You're awesome, and I love you.